Fictions as Practice
dustyrelief << / >> wireframe
La Defense, Paris, 2001
Architect: R&Sie(n) Paris
(name of the agency at this time : R&Sie.D/B:L)
Creative team: François Roche, Stephanie Lavaux, Alexandre Boulin, Olivier Legrand, Gilles Desevedavy; Collaborators: Benoît Durandin, Etienne Feher, David Topanni
Key dimensions: 10,000 m2.
Cost : 60M$
Design of an office building in La Defense area, Paris. Commissioned by the research department of the French Public Electricity Company (EDF), to develop a sustainable building that gains its energy from the sun, and in the same time which is affected, infected morphologically by its UV radiation...
1) Realization of a generic office building.
2) Deformation of the reactive façade to respond to contact with renewable energies:
- hairiness of the façade for thermal sensors
- swelling of the glass skin for the mono crystalline PV cells
3) Disconnection (‘Unplug’) of the building from the urban ground and its energy network.